The history of (Gardner) porcelain manufacture closely related with Englishman, F. Gardner, who have arrived to Russia at 1746 with His business plan to create porcelain manufacture.
The place were He decided to open the manufacture was chosen small town Verbilky at Moscow suburbs. At 1723 Peter the Great, Russian Czar have issued decree to support porcelain manufactures at Russia. But permission was required to open manufacture and that permission was issued to Gardner at 1766 only. But Gardner not waited for that permission and have began to produce porcelain before the date permission was issued. Thus, to be not noticed Gardner used logo of Meissen porcelain. This was not big lie because of Meissen masters was working for Gardner.
Once permission was issued Gardner decided to launch advertisement. Best one at that times was Czar court using manufactured items. Thus He gave present to Russian Czar - at that time it was Katherine II, and next - She ordered more porcelain from Gardner. That was the start of really successful manufacture.
As before permission issued, Gardner continued with Meissen copies. But time after time arts changed, and items have became more Russian than they was at the beginning. Russian fairy tails, Russian motives are well noticed on Gardner items. As well as Meissen roots.
But, business was not too successful and competitors appeared. At 1891 factory was sold to Russian businessman, M.C. Kuznetzov.
Kuznetzov policy was to produce porcelain for the masses and factory have began to produce items for everyday usage. But, Kuznetzov continued to place Gardner logo on items, despite of change of ownership.
And nowadays, elite hand - made items produced at Verbilky has that old, Gardner, logo.